[Dixielandjazz] Cartoon Music

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Tue Jan 23 19:15:22 PST 2007

Hi Bob:

I have to disagree with your respectfully about not calling Joplin's
music Movie music or film music,  They did issue an Album of the
Soundtrack from the movie that sold very well and popularized the music
of Scott Joplin all over again :))

Yes it was done by the Marketing Division and if someone feels that
calling that genre of Jazz, Cartoon Music is demeaning then THEY have
a  sensitivity problem and perhaps should think about their approach to
Jazz and it's marketing so as not to be so sensitive about what a great
many who grew up listening to that style of Jazz, and their first and
sometimes Only exposure to Jazz relate to it as.  They actually might
like it, but just don't relate to it as the end to all Jazz and being
HOT JAZZ.   Especially any Jazz players who came along after 1960.

For those who enjoy that style and wish to play it, I say wonderful,
but don't expect the rest of the Jazz world to embrace it as Hot Jazz,
it just ain't likely to happen, from the current and future
generations.   The folks who most like it are long gone or soon to be
gone unfortunately.   They don't even make cartoons like they used to.
:))   And I don't watch them anymore either except for the classics
with my grandkids.   I hate Yukio !   But love Wiley Coyote  and the
ACME STORES, :))

Just my thoughts about it.

Tom Wiggins