[Dixielandjazz] Al Hirt: Not jazz?

John McClernan mcclernan1 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 23 13:22:22 PST 2007

Despite what the blurb from the CD says, Al was a delight to play
with. Very musical and his jazz was a helluva lot better than mine.
I worked on Bourbon St. for 6 months in 1971 and Al's club was two
doors down and on the opposite corner. After the regular show was
over, his band frequently played in the side bar that was accessible
from the adjacent St. Louis Street. Many nights jam sessions sprang
up, with all manner of musicians from other clubs stopping by after
hours. He was also a gentleman and very helpful and complimentary to
this 22 year old tuba player. Those nights are some of my best
memories of that 6 months in the Crescent City.