[Dixielandjazz] Al Hirt: Not jazz?

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Tue Jan 23 12:09:15 PST 2007

One needs to be careful when assigning any praise or fault to musicians. An
example is Clyde McCoy. He made a good  living playing what some would call
"corny", muted schtick numbers. But I also heard his road band play some
straight ahead trad jazz without any wa wa mutes, ad they swumg like mad.
Pee Wee Hunt made a hit with his cornball recoding arrangement on 12th
Street Rag, but he was a very fine jazz trombonist, a long time mainstay of
the Casa Loma band and had worked with a number of the Goldkette bands in
Detroit, sometimes in company wiht Bix, many times with my dad, yet he is
remembered for hsi Doo-wakka-doo-wacka 12th. Street Rag. (Anngement I might
add by Rosey McHargue who also played clainet on the recording. )
My dad (Red Ingle) was noted for his comedy covers of pop songs in a
hillbilly, take, yet he held his own along side Bix, Tram and others when he
worked with Goldkette, and later with Ted Weems and Spike Jones. He played
fine tenor, clar and bass clarinet, and baritone sax, and a load of jazz
fiddle.  But hw is seldom ever thought of as a jazz man. Al Hirt made very
successful recordings of pop styled numbers -- they paid the bills and kept
some good players maing a living in the business. If you want to judge him
only by his pop sides,  he might not seem to be a "jazz" player -- but I had
the pleasure of hearing him play in N.O. up close and on standard material
he was a very fine player and comfortable with the style we call trad.
I think that lables are given too hastily without the full knowledge that
would back them. If you like the way a man plays, good, if you do not then
don't listen. But be careful with making those absolutes and labels becasue
those who know all the facts will catch you up every time.
My opinion, mine only, and that's all it is.
Don Ingle