[Dixielandjazz] Michael McQuaid's Red Hot Rhythmakers (was Check Out This Young Group!)

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Tue Jan 23 07:13:22 PST 2007

Despite protestations to the contrary the phrase "cartoon music" conjures up
a demeaning image of the music played by bands like this, in particular the
Portena and Michael McQuaid's great band.  There are some who cannot resist
putting jazz of any stripe into a pigeon hole - and where there is no slot
appropriate to a particular style then they seem to believe that the one
next to it will suffice.

If Messrs. Barbone and Wiggins will not face the fact that this kind of
material is out-and-out hot jazz of the highest calibre then I cannot take
seriously any of their copious comments on our music.

Cartoon music? Phooey!

John Farrell