[Dixielandjazz] McQuaid's Rhythmakers/cartoons

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Jan 23 11:30:59 PST 2007

John, Steve, Tom, and all--

IMHO the discussion of cartoon music has gone awry on one hand. On the
other, it needs refinement to avoid talking past each other; on the
other (I have three hands), it reflects real disagreements.

We went far afield when the idea of cartoon music was stretched out
beyond the razzmatazzy, identifiable stuff that was heard behind
cartoons in the 30s and 40s, to include any music that was matched to
cartoon animation, from hot music behind the short cartoons to the
symphonic stuff of “Fantasia” to the hip modern jazz behind the
“Peanuts” TV specials. The focus of the discussion is for me, and has
returned to:  the style of the early cartoon music and its resemblances
to other “hot” music such as  the dance music charts played by vintage
bands of the early years and current bands like McQuaid’s Rhythm
Makers, the New Leviathan Band, S.F. Starlite Band, Portena Band, etc.

Speaking for myself and just about everyone I personally grew up with
in jazz (I’m 71), unlike Steve we were not, make that NOT impressed
with the music of cartoons as a prelude to liking jazz. Cartoon music
was clearly funny stuff and intended to be silly and loaded with zany
effects, whereas most jazz of the time was not. Even the music of
Lombardo, the Mickey bands, and the recordings we heard of early
dance/pop music, though regarded as corny, weren’t thought of as
cartoon music. The common elements in all of those musics were a few
things like syncopation, growls, and hot, foot-tapping rhythm, but we
sensed that jazz went well beyond that.

The refinement of our discussion was made along the way by a DJMLer who
said that, only if you name your criteria for what constitutes jazz can
you talk to someone else about whether a given performance is jazz. I
shouted hooray and added that some “hot” performances will meet all of
the criteria, others will meet some, still others just a few. In my
list, the music of the Portena, McQuaid, Leviathan, Starlite bands has
very few of the qualities on my list of criteria for jazz, and a lot of
the qualities of pre-jazz. Too much to enumerate here, but for
instance, the McQuaid band purposely plays ricky-tick ragtime phrasing
(in common with my criteria for cartoon music) but the clarinetist is a
fluidly swinging improviser (one of my many jazz criteria). Also by my
criteria,…the Firehouse Five was usually pretty jazzy and kinda
corny…Condon’s bands were usually 100% jazz…and so on. The ODJB and
other very early improvising bands were essentially jazz, but there
were still plenty of pre-jazz elements in them. But the early
improvising bands were, in retrospect, clearly works-in-progress
towards what shook out as jazz when the music found a distinct identity
in Armstrong, Hines, Bix, and others.

The disagreements outright among us might well be what’s in our implied
but unstated lists of criteria. Mine lead me to say, along with John
Farrell and others, that that Portena, McQuaid, etc., aren’t “cartoon
music”-- but to agree with Mssrs. Barbone and Wiggs, that they aren’t
“red hot jazz.”  I call them—take a deep breath—mostly corny. As
mentioned earlier, we just don’t have an untainted vocabulary to apply
to those old-style bands. It’s not “early jazz” in the sense that
Oliver, Louis, the NORK, etc. were. We’ve inherited terms like “corn,”
“razzmatazz,” “Mickey Mouse,” and “cartoon music.” If we could adopt a
term like “razzmatazz” or defuse “corn” of it’s pejorative
connotations, those terms might be generic descriptors of the music
we’re talking about.

Charlie Suhor