[Dixielandjazz] Michael McQuaid's Red Hot Rhythmakers (was Check Out This Young Group!)

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Jan 22 22:17:45 PST 2007

Very Fine musicianship indeed, as are the guy in Portuna Jazz Band,
that Steve respectfully referred to as Cartoon Music STYLE.

I will not go so far as to call it Cartoon Music and insult their
wonderful efforts and musical accomplishments, however I did turn off
the lights and leaned back in my chair as the songs played and I swear
to God I saw Visions of ELMER FUDD AND WYLIE COYOTE ON THE DARK WALL IN
FRONT OF ME :))   BUT IT COULD HAVE A BIT TO DO WITH POLISHING OFF THAT
BOTTEL OF ROJA VINO,  :))

Ya'll take up qa collection and send them kids over here to play on a
show with St. Gabriel's, Barbone Street and the Ambassadors of Nawlin's
and we'll send you back a real fine Jazz Band with some Soul and you
won't never hear Woody Woodpecker on their stage again :))

Just because they play music of the 1920,s and 30,s does not mean it
has to sound like it, unless of course the only audience they expect to
play to is the folks still around from those days.   Kids this is 2007
get a little hipper and kids of your generation will actually embrace
your music and like it.   Technically wonderful, executed well but it
ain't got .02 worth of feeling and soul in it.    Sounds like they are
doing exactly what they are doing,  Playing the well rehearsed DOTS.

As Louis would say:  Hey kids why you playing all them extra notes,
leave a few out and breath man, here take a hit off this and relax a
bit, no need to play so frantically.   :))

Now I shall be in big trouble, chunk a chunka chunka chp chop chop.  I
kept waiting and praying for the banjo to break all the strings, :))
but alas noooooooo he has the lifetime guaranteed ones on that damned
thing. :))   Send that kid to me and I'll send you back a good drummer
who won't ever touch a banjo again :))   well maybe a Washboardist,
come on Bill me mate can't you convert the kid, we have spent decades
here trying to put the Banjo on the endangered species list, but
somebody keeps making another one and some bloke learns how to play it
.

Cheers, and well done kids, you are all they say you are and personally
I hope Warner Brothers signs you to a contract. :))

Tom Wiggins