[Dixielandjazz] Music Teachers was IAJE and TJEN

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jan 22 10:12:38 PST 2007

So this thread has encouraged me to contact the local high
> school and see what can be done about that and how I might be able to
> help.

John - Some time ago I suggested to the list that the jazzers out there
volunteer their services to the local H.S. music program.  Most high schools
have some sort of jazz (???) program.  Usually the BD can handle all the
sectional stuff but what soloists do is always up for grabs.  You might
offer to help out and sit in with the kids.  Maybe even a couple of lessons
on the side for little or nothing.  Offer them a master class if you are
comfortable teaching a class in jazz improv or style or whatever.

A lot of us are retired and can show up during a band class before or after
school.

Ask if you can sponsor an after school jazz club.  When I was in HS I was in
the jazz club.   Schools are a bit spooky about outside people today but if
they check you out they might be receptive.  After all they are getting
something for free.
Larry
St. Louis