[Dixielandjazz] Music Teachers was IAJE and TJEN

jcblegen at sbcglobal.net jcblegen at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 22 09:57:54 PST 2007

> Perhaps we shouldn't tar ALL music teachers with the same brush?
[snip]
> Steve Barbone

Absolutely.  There are, I'm convinced, many music teachers who see their mission as
turning kids on to music, music in general, and there are many who succeed.  Once a kid is
turned on to music, there's a fighting chance she will find her way to jazz.

But it would be nice to see more --- strike that --- SOME emphasis on pre-bebop jazz, on
inventing melodies that fit chord progressions rather than selecting the correct scale or
regurgitating a canned pattern.  So this thread has encouraged me to contact the local high
school and see what can be done about that and how I might be able to help.

John Blegen
Evanston, IL