[Dixielandjazz] IAJE - TJEN - Some thoughts.

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sat Jan 20 18:33:48 PST 2007

Well spoken Larry:

I have the same discussion with my International Students who come to
The USA to study English, several who have been English TEACHERS in
their country at elementary and high school and college level and they
can't speak 50 words of English when they arrive.

They have also studied British English in the classrooms and can't even
begin to speak or understand American English and all it's slang
elements.  I also send many of them home proclaiming that they learned
more English at my dinner table than they did in a five to ten week
course at UC Berkeley.   At School they only stress grammer and
structure, not conversation and pronunciation and or every day use and
idioms.

The same can be said of Music teachers,  in most high schools and
colleges,  and of course there are exceptions to this situation, but
the fact remains that it is and has been a problem for over 40 years
which is why Jazz is  perceived to be in the dumpster in the USA.

It'[s nice to hear it come form a Teachers mouth who has been there and
seen that,  I was beginning to think I was the one who was nuts, and
Mike in Denver was not far behind.    No I don't Hate Music or Jazz
Teachers, except for the ones who have no clue about what the Hell they
are teaching and are simply marking time to get a paycheck.

Cheers,

Tom,     A drummer who would Read if any of my music teachers had ever
tried to teach me how. :))