[Dixielandjazz] REMoving records

Snogpitch snogpitch at prodigy.net
Sat Jan 20 13:21:07 PST 2007

In the late 70's I used to collect crates from the grocery stores that
packaged cantalopes and peaches.  They were made of wood, and held up well
from dragging records from dorm hall to dorm hall in my moves thru college.
Most of my LP collection still resides in those same crates.  A two-wheeler
can move 4 or 3 of them at a time.  One of these crates can hold
approximately 150 records, depending on the thickness of the album,
multiset, etc.  I still see these kinds of crates being used in second hand
record stores that I've visited recently.

In college, we didn't use milk crates for records.  We used them as book
shelves for our text books, and in a pinch if you line them up on the floor
in a 5 rows of 3 or 4 wide, throw a mattress on top, you have yourself
either a guest bed or a couch.  More than likely college kids are still
doing that today....if you can find a store that doesn't keep their empty
milk crates locked up.