[Dixielandjazz] Cartoon Music

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Wed Jan 17 15:59:46 PST 2007

Steve;

You know how I hate to disagree with you. But I only do it when I believe
that you're wrong... as in this case.

You state:

"... Scott's Music applies to many cartoons whereas the others apply to one
carton, or a snippet of music to one cartoon."

I respond:

Scott wrote did not write with cartoons in mind - many of these snippets
which were used were written for jazz. It was only Carl Stallings who
applied these snippets to some of his cartoons. Just as portions(snippets)
of Beethoven's 9th was used in several movies (Clockwork Orange, Die Hard)
and other Beethoven works have also been used in many pictures, we don't
look at the Beethoven's works as "movie music."

If we look harder, we can find many pieces of classical music which have
been used many times in many movies.

You state:

"... Opera in its "original" form is not cartoon music."

I respond:

That's exactly my point, Scott's music in its "original" form is not cartoon
music either.

You state:

"IMO Fantasia was not a cartoon. It was the third in a Disney series of
Animated full length films. it contained many innovations such as the use of
stereophonic sound. I would categorize it as an "Animated Musical", not as a
cartoon. Maybe splitting hairs, but a Fantasia is a "musical work" and a
great way to introduce kids to classical music. Just as cartoon music was a
great way to introduce kids to jazz."

I respond:

While Fantasia was a full-length film, it was also a cartoon. I thought the
dancing hippos and Mickey Mouse's antics were truly funny. So did millions
of Americans. If you want to call it an "animated musical", then it's merely
a type of cartoon. Using the same criteria you cite, I could also call the
Stallings cartoons "animated musicals". We'd be splitting hairs if I called
Fantasia a "musical cartoon."

The point is that we have to look at Raymond Scott and his music in light of
their original form and not how someone took his music and applied it to a
certain collage we call "cartoons". Therefore, Mozart, Beethoven,
Tchaikovsky, Scott, etc. must be regarded as composers for the intent and
form of their original work.

By the way, Steve, I heard Scott's music used in a commercial for Visa the
other day. Let's not get started on this...

Stan