[Dixielandjazz] Porte ñ a Jazz Band/"cartoon music"

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Jan 16 12:40:36 PST 2007

Hi, Bill, Steve, and all--

Steve's "cartoon" adjective is literal, and probably connected to the
still-going label (in the U.S.) of "Mickey [Mouse] band." The music
behind the cartoons of the 30s and even beyond shares many of the exact
pre-jazz, corny qualities of the dance bands of the 20s and 30s (kept
alive today by the Porte ñ a Jazz Band, New Leviathan Orch., and a few
others). Some of these characteristics, also heard in vaudeville
backups and in intros to musical shorts by various slapstick comedians,
were carried on by the mickey bands, a genre that matured with Guy
Lombardo, Shep Fields, etc.

To be fair, you hear a lot of these elements in players and
arrangements in early jazz and swing bands. The first Ellington records
had a good deal of corny phrasing and mickey-like lines, along with
characteristics we call jazz today. There wasn't yet a differentiation
of the qualities of jazz, cartoon/corny, ragtrime/sweet, military,
etc., in a lot of the music. The genres of jazz and jazz-based swing
hadn't "shaken out" in early groups like Whiteman, Ted Lewis, and the
cartoon bands that had some jazz elements but lots of ricky-tick
articulation, rapid vibratos, etc.

I've long believed that "corn" should be a legitimate term in
musicology and jazz criticism and purged of its judgmental
connotations. And "cartoon music" is a subset of that, all the more
valuable because it points to sites where the music can actually be
heard.

Charlie Suhor