[Dixielandjazz] Bagpipers

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Fri Jan 5 15:06:03 PST 2007

I just read a piece on Fred Burnett's excellent site covering OKOM in the
northwest of England which made me laugh out loud (I'm still quietly
chuckling!).

It concerned a gig which the Dagenham Girl Pipers (a well-known British
all-girl bagpipe band) played in France. I quote :

"In the second half of the evening, the DGP did another spot. By now, there
were only four Forces' member in the audience; four very relaxed, jovial
black men, almost right under the stage, busy playing cards and chatting
among themselves totally oblivious to the skirl o' the pipes. At one point,
one card-player - in a very loud voice that almost drowned out the
monotonous drones - requested the impossible: "Play 'Moanin'! "

Wonderful stuff !!

John Farrell