[Dixielandjazz] Off-Topic, Flyover Country News

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Fri Jan 5 14:37:23 PST 2007

Gluetje1 at aol.com wrote:
> I haven't seen much national media attention focused on info such as in the
> below personal note from a friend who just made the drive on THE major
> interstate from St. Louis to Denver--most of the content below about  Kansas.
> Ginny
>
> What floored my on the drive (during which I encountered not one  tumble
> weed) was the destruction in Kansas. I knew they got hit but had  been
> hearing more about Denver. I saw on the news in KS open-bed trucks  full
> of dead cattle. i had no idea it was so bad. This one rancher lost  500
> head. They are doing what CO is doing and dropping hay to the  ranches
> to prevent further starvation of the cattle but still have no way  to
> get water to them.
> Around mile marker 90 on I-70 I saw beautiful iced  fences and trees and
> hundreds of downed trees and even metal power line  towers. hundreds
> more evergreens were crushed on their north side so who  knows if they
> will bounce back or not. They were also talking on the news  about
> thousands of folks not only without power but water too as the  water
> plants have no electricity to run on. What a mess.
>  (mailto:wayne_haymes at sbcglobal.net)

As one who has in the past been snowed in more than a few times in
Colorado when we lived there, I can understand what they are going through.
What is harder to understand is why we in North Michigan have not had
snow enough to stick in most of a month and are at bare ground and about
50 degrees right now on the 5th of January. This month and Feb. are our
two biggest  snow months. But snowmobiles are silent, skiers are singing
the blues, small shops and restaurants are closing early or just closing
period here where we usually have all the winter sports going on full
blast at this time of the year. No damn ice fishng,either. So there is
another side of the coin when weather is the subject. Could be worse.
Ask a flooded out fellow along the Gulf, or the landslide and rainsoaked
NW.
An old jingle of my youth comes to mind. "Whether it's cold or whether
it's hot -- we must have weather, whether or not."
It makes on think. I did. And having thought about it, I think I'll have
a drink!
Don Ingle
.