[Dixielandjazz] Some People Want To Dance

Don Robertson jdrobertson at att.net
Tue Jan 2 14:28:05 PST 2007

Wow Dan,
Reminds me of some of the "company" parties I used to drag my wife to,
except it was endless badly distorted guitar chords, and lots of drums.

On the other hand, this year, I was privileged to attend one of the best
NYE events I can remember.  Some of our friends organized it at a small
Thai restaurant with a back room dance floor and small band stand. We
had a great dixieland band, Ted Shafer's Jelly Roll Jazz Band with
listmate Jim O'Briant on tuba.  The band was perfect for the venue, the
crowd (78 people), the tune selection and the ambiance made it a very
enjoyable evening.  The dance floor did get a little crowded.

Actually, the local okom dance scene around here is pretty good
throughout the year with three active dixieland societies and a couple
more regular monthly dances all with large dance floors and good bands
to choose from.  Just the ever present and much discussed question of
how to recruit younger folks.

Don Robertson
Napa, CA