[Dixielandjazz] Some People Want To Dance

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Tue Jan 2 11:27:52 PST 2007

Hi Dan:

Because the Twit in charge of entertainment at the Country Club went to
school for food and beverage management and knows nothing about music
but they give him/her the job so they don't have to hire a professional
or even hire a professional bandleader  that would or should know, to
program the entertainment at the Club.

Now there you have it, as a Paying customer you need to go complain to
the Top level management at the club about it and explain why, trust me
they are too ignorant or naive to know the difference.  Obviously!

Some bands will take ANY GIG  and especially on New Years Eve, and many
Country Clubs and other venues will also HIRE ANY BAND for the same
reasons,   Who and what is available and for How much.   As I have said
before, there is a large void of ignorance out there amongst
entertainment buyers who simply believe that Any Band is capable of
playing anything they need, since we all know every song in the world.
  Competent musicians and bandleaders often need to go that extra mile
and do some extra activity to program music in good places properly.
everyone out there in the corporate and event planning world is not
Music savvy, as a matter of fact many of them are quite naive and often
quite ignorant about anything music related.   They need education and
they don't get this training in Hotel or food and beverage management
schools.

So if some of you want an extra income, research those schools and get
yourself hired on as a Consultant and teach some courses on how to buy
and program professional entertainment, you would be doing all of us a
big worthwhile service, PROVIDED OF COURSE THAT YOIU KNOW HOW to do it
and not fill every gig with only YKOM, but actually take into
consideration the event and the clientele that you have to service.   I
have also seen many musicians and bandleaders misuse the position of
Entertainment director just as badly by trying to ONLy fill their own
calendar with all the gigs and not hiring the proper other acts that
would be better suited for the gig.  They also get fired quickly.

Cheers,

Tom "Do it Right or don't do it at all"  Wiggins