[Dixielandjazz] Big Bass Drums

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Mon Jan 1 22:27:02 PST 2007

Say Tom,

Have you seen Abbot and Costello in "The Naughty Nineties"? They're working
on a showboat. In the opening scene, Costello makes a grand entrance rolling
out the door and onto the deck harnessed to a huge bass drum. He rolls over
the drum, then the drum rolls over him, and he ends up more or less on his
feet.

In the next scene, they're marching through town with the boat's band,
Costello bringing up the rear pounding on the same huge drum. He can't see
over it, so when the band makes a turn, he keeps going straight, obliviously
marching through town beating the drum by himself, creating various kinds of
slapstick fun.

Hilarious stuff. Would love to add it to my own act.

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble
Jerusalem, Israel