[Dixielandjazz] freebies

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jan 1 21:09:35 PST 2007

Ted - this story is incredibly typical of young bands.  Several guys get
together and there is no clear leadership or person who handles the business
of music.  Believe me I'm not putting you or the group down at all.  I'm
sure that this has happened to most of us at one time or another.  Everybody
thinks they are the leader.

You had the courage to stick to your guns but also expect what happened.  Of
course they would probably go with the guy that had "booked" the band.  (Yes
I know it was for free).

I am a whole lot sneaker than that.  I would have played it then looked for
some paying gigs and left him out or cut his feet out from under him in
other ways.  The other alternative would to bow out at some point and take
those who were good with you.  This happens in companies all the time.
Someone starts a new company and raids the old one for the best people.  The
other tactic is to trademark the band name.  That way they can play but
without the band name.

Musicians are called "cats" and like cats they hang around those who feed
them.  So if you want a band you have to be productive in booking.
Larry
St. Louis