[Dixielandjazz] Cancellation terms?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jan 1 20:47:12 PST 2007

I no longer take deposits on nursing home or corporate gigs and even though
I no longer do weddings I have, in the past always taken deposits for
weddings.  Too many weddings get cancelled or the date moves for whatever
reason.

Your requests are reasonable and shouldn't be a problem from an honest
client.  I would say that red flags would start flying if they weren't
giving you a deposit or signing a cancellation clause.

Possibly tell them that without the clause you need a deposit it's their
choice.  Deposit or clause.

Sometimes you just have to say no and I don't like to do that either.

I'm sort of wondering why it takes so long to get paid.  I have one client
that I accept late checks.  One of the most posh country clubs in town takes
3 to 4 months to pay and I no longer work for them because they don't make
prior arrangements with me because I want to add a service fee to contracts
for late pays.  I have to pay my guys that night why can't they pay that
night.

My contract allows legal fees to collect if they don't pay.  I figure if
they won't sign that then watch out.

I have only been cancelled one time about 6 or 7 years ago and that was
through a booker.  She got her money, the deposit.  I got zit.  I actually
showed up and there was a couple of guys with guitars who looked like bums
already set up.  This was a street gig in front of a new grocery store.
Fortunately I was able to call my guys and call them off before they left
home.  The booker and I had no contract so I was left pretty much without
anything.  Fortunately that has only happened one time in many years.  I
would have paid my guys something if they had showed up.
Larry
St. Louis