[Dixielandjazz] FW: YES!!! Traditional jazz drums......

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Feb 28 07:24:17 PST 2007

John Petters wrote:

> Early style jazz drumming is in danger of becoming a lost art with
> most drummers in traditional bands either unaware or disinterested in
> the early styles.

I believe we have the best of both worlds....our drummer can do a
traditional sound on songs like Dr. Jazz or Muscrat Ramble, and swing to his
heart's content on things like In The Mood.
Same goes for our pianist, who can stand up with the best of the stride
guys, but is normally in a more modern mood.

I agree, though, that people should be aware of the earlier styles, and be
able to handle them if the occasion/band calls for it, and that many younger
musicians have not given the earlier days a good listening to.

Jim