[Dixielandjazz] 100th Anniversary of Jazz

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 28 07:52:00 PST 2007

"Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com>

> yeah but Buddy Bolden was playing before then...

Yes, as early as 1895 and by 1910 he was in a mental institution and no
longer playing.

BUT, was it jazz?

Who knows? Point being that when "jazz" actually started is not important.
What is important is that we celebrate jazz in some meaningful way to the
mass audience. So pick a date and a cause.

Like Barbone Street hit its strongest gig growth years in 2000, 2001 and
2002. Why? Because for the first two years we celebrated the 100th
Anniversary of Louis Armstrong's birth. With lots of publicity in local
newspapers, radio and TV. The media jumped all over the Armstrong craze. And
the fact that he was really born in 1901, not 1900 didn't matter to those
who celebrated it in 2000.

This was followed by our jumping all over the Ken Burns "Jazz, America's
Music" craze. Again with all sorts of media hype about us, school programs
etc. Helped us immensely.

Now, as we all get older in the band, we are de-marketing. Less gigs, but
higher paying ones. Trying to stabilize around 100 gigs a year.

The Tuxedo Band 100th anniversary is such an obvious natural event for New
Orleans, especially the Jazz and Heritage Festival, which draws the largest
crowd. I hope some Crescent City movers and shakers are listening. My
goodness, how many bands with a 100 year history are there? What a great
marketing opportunity. And, of course, it is a great opportunity for the
current edition of the Original Tuxedo Jazz Band.

Cheers,
Steve