[Dixielandjazz] origins of bluegrass, ol timey mountain music, etc

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Feb 27 10:35:16 PST 2007

This is a highly unlikely explanation.  For several reasons.  The first has
to do with the radios available in the 20's and 30's and radio waves.  The
crystal sets that were available, in the 20's and 30's only had about a 50
mile range with a good antenna.  There were regenerative radios that could
pick up further but required batteries or electricity.  Almost none of these
people had electricity so if they had radios then their radios had to be
crystal sets that require no electrical source.  Many people made their own
sets but the costs were still too high for most of the poor mountain people
to own.  But assuming that they had them then the 50 mile range, on a good
night, would be  considerably reduced by mountains and other things.  The
low frequency of the radio ( approximately 200 meters ) at the time didn't
skip very well so they had to get their signals by what is called ground
effect and more or less line of sight.  Unless the radio station was line of
sight and I don't think many of them had their radio antennas on the tops of
mountains, then there were no signals.  Even today, radio signals are
somewhat problematical in the mountain areas.  Since they had a meager life
style then they couldn't afford radios which were pretty expensive at the
time.  Only people in large cities  had much access to radio stations.

When I was a kid in the 40's and 50's my parents liked Grand Old Opry which
was on a clear channel but it could only be heard at night if there were no
atmospherics and that was with a fairly good modern Superhetrodine radio
which is a long way from a crystal set.  My grandparents in the 40's lived
on a farm and they had a (car) battery powered radio.  They got their
battery charged each week in town but as I recall had to buy "A" batteries
for it.  They didn't get electricity in their house until about 1950 and
that was right here in Missouri not 100 miles from St. Louis.

There are other reasons that I think this is hooey.  Appellation and
Bluegrass use drone strings which are similar to drone pipes on a bagpipe.
I understand that few can agree on a definition of jazz but there is no jazz
that I can find in early mountain or Appellation music.  It is highly
repetitive, has few chord changes and has that drone string .  If there is
any improvisation it is more likely to be in the vocal.

There may be more than one definition of improvisation but I hear very
little of what I think of as improvisation in Blue Grass music especially in
the guitar and banjo parts which is more machine like.  That's not to say
that modern players, influenced by jazz, don't improvise but I just don't
think it's true of early mountain or Blue Grass music.

During the depression the government through it's make work programs sent
musicians out to preserve this music.  Burl Ives and  Woody Guthrie were
two.  Burl Ives made a career based on these tunes with several albums
dedicated to it.  There was a pretty good movie about a woman Musicologist
going into the mountains about 1915 to record mountain music.  Unfortunately
I can't remember the title.  Maybe someone saw it.

Although I can't quote a source right now, musicologists usually trace this
music to England and Scotland and occasionally find a piece that is
virtually unchanged.  Music brought over by early colonists was preserved
due to the isolation of these people and while radio did help break that
isolation I just can't picture those people rushing out to try jazz.

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone attribute jazz origins to
Bluegrass or any other mountain music.

To quote Judge Judy " If it doesn't make sense it isn't true"
Larry
St. Louis