[Dixielandjazz] origins of bluegrass, ol timey mountain music, etc

Cebuisle2 at aol.com Cebuisle2 at aol.com
Mon Feb 26 18:12:10 PST 2007

Years ago I took some courses in music at Queens City College in N.Y. One  of
the texts explained the origins of what we know as "Bluegrass" thusly-

Long before the Great Depression the mountain people of the Eastern states
were poor. They had always been poor. The new jazz music could be heard on the
radios in the mountains, which pretty much became the biggest source of
entertainment. The locals couldn't imitate it-the costs of buying wind musical
instruments was beyond their meager lifestyle. However, many homes had the
string instruments hanging on pegs, and players aplenty. The result was toe
tapping "Bluegrass" done with fiddles, banjos, guitars and simple rhythm
instruments. A different kind of "jazz" music, and still popular today.

Never forgot the lesson-but did forget the title and author of the  text!!

                                Ted
http://www.aol.com.