[Dixielandjazz] origins of bluegrass, ol timey mountain music, etc

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Feb 27 10:55:49 PST 2007

Just about any history of the Scottish in America will tell how the
early (and later) waves of immigrants from Scotland and Northern
Ireland landed in the southern states and almost immediately headed
for the hills and mountains. (Mainly to get away from the "English"
who settled mostly on the coast.) That is one reason there were (and
still are?) so many 'stills in the hills ;-)

The music went with them.

There is a museum in Franklin, North Carolina that gets into this.
http://www.scottishtartans.org/

Dave (McKinney) Richoux