[Dixielandjazz] simple music

Don Robertson jdrobertson at att.net
Mon Feb 26 16:30:16 PST 2007

I agree with Larry.  A few years ago, I was involved with what we called
"old timey" or "fiddle tunes".  It was closely associated with, but not
the same as bluegrass.  This was what was played on Grand Ol Opery.  It
was more like what was played in homes for amusement.  Bluegrass became
more of an exhibition style similar to okom with a succession of solos,
where the old timey was more ensemble or many people playing simple
tunes in unison or with harmonies on fiddles, mandolins, banjos and
guitars.  This didn't require as much musical ability, although
individual fiddlers were very proficient and there were many fiddle
contests.  I've been in both kinds of jam session on guitar and fiddle.
With the old timey format you get to play a lot and quickly learn the
tune.  With bluegrass you spend most of the time waiting for your turn
to play.  All of this is done in sharp keys.

This was in the early days of the 30's and 40's where now "country and
western" is nothing but thinly disguised rock. It's even called
"Southern Rock".  Early "western" music was epitomized by Bob Wills,
with steel guitars and some mandolin and fiddle.  Some of it was very
close to jazz. and became known as "western swing".

Don Robertson
Napa, CA