[Dixielandjazz] simple music

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Feb 26 17:11:58 PST 2007

I agree that C&W today is more like early rock than either Country or
Western as I defined it.

I think Hill Billy, Old Timey or Appellation is closer to Bluegrass than
modern C&W except that C&W uses many of the same instruments such as the
fiddle, and mandolin.  Early on you saw instruments like the Auto Harp used
but no longer.  Another distinction is that there were no drums in the "Old
Timey" music with folk instruments like the washboard, washtub bass,  were
sometimes being used and some odd ones like Jugs, sweet potatoes (ocarinas
to the un initiated) and Stumpf Bass sometimes called the Pogo Cello.

There was a Country band on early St. Louis TV that used mandolin, Bass
fiddle, Violin and Guitar.  Typically western bands were string bands with
an occasional Accordion.  Today I think the Dixie Chicks are about as close
as you can come in a modern group to an old time string band.

While I was at Missouri School for the blind we did some music with
instruments that could be made easily or cost less than $50.  I chose that
criteria because I wanted to stay authentic.  We did such tunes as Boil that
Possum and some old time Gospel like I'll Fly Away.  The kids loved it
because several came from the back woods of the Ozarks, knew these tunes and
how to play the instruments or had at least heard them.

Before anyone laughs the Washtub bass in the hands of someone with perfect
or very good pitch and who worked at it some can be a fairly legitimate
instrument.  There was one of the kids that played bass guitar that could
really play the thing.
Larry
St. Louis