[Dixielandjazz] Crappy pianos - the solution

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Feb 25 11:55:26 PST 2007

In the early 60's my band had a gig at a VFW hall in South St. Louis.  We
were used to out of tune but this piano was missing strings and hammers
right in the middle.  The show must go on and we proceeded to sound really
bad and the piano player was playing solos in the top couple of octaves.
Did I forget to say it was really out of tune?  The evening drew to a close
and I could foresee that we weren't going to get paid but the Brides father
paid us and even gave us a tip.  He thought the band was great????  Not only
that we booked three gigs off of that night.

There might be a lesson there for all of us but I'm not sure what it is.
Larry
St. Louis