[Dixielandjazz] B-flat and its effect

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Tue Feb 20 17:07:09 PST 2007

I love the education I get reading this stuff . . . . . And from the
most recent articles on B-flat resonance I  have put 2 and 2 together,
and now know why women have  always been more attracted to the brass
players rather than the players of other instruments - -it's because
trumpet and trombone players, for example,  are B-flat
instrumentalists.

I figure also that someone could probably work this notion into of of
those cheap romance novels . . . " . . .as the trumpet player took long
deep breaths, he produced some hot music, and the very tones he
produced with his flashy B-flat instrument caused her skin to prickle.

Suddenly, with no warning whatsoever, he produced a piercing high
B-flat.  He knew that she had been listening, so he held it longer than
any note he had ever held before.  He noticed too that her eyes were
wide open, but glazed, and she was now in a trance. Reaching deep
within himself he drove home yet another strong and powerful B-flat,
then carefully used his half valves to slide down to B-flat on the
staff, and then continued caressing the note down to the B-flat below
the staff, always keeping an eye on the beautiful woman whose attention
he had captured.  He definitely would not be leaving the building
alone, and knew that the minute he stepped off the stage that she would
be by his side.

He never left a gig alone, because he knew the secret and the magic of
B-flat and the wonders it could work.   (Thank god he'd switched from
playing the washboard, where he'd never  been able to produce any note
whatsoever, and always went home alone)". . . . . to be continued.