[Dixielandjazz] 90 Year Jazz Anniversary, Dan Levinson

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Tue Feb 20 10:54:21 PST 2007

Listmates,

If you are anywhere near NJ, don't miss this one:

>From Dan Levinson:

www.danlevinson.com

First, the big news.
JAZZ TURNS 90!!!

DAN LEVINSON'S ROOF GARDEN JASS BAND
(We look good for our age, don't we?)

I organized the Roof Garden Jass Band in 1987 for my first public concert,
an event at NYU honoring the 70th anniversary of recorded jazz.

I spent months listening to the records of the Original Dixieland Jazz
Band - the band who made the first jazz recordings in 1917 - and
painstakingly wrote
out note-for-note transcriptions for the band to play.
Over the years our repertoire has broadened, but we have faithfully
maintained a focus on early jazz.
I believe we are the only band in existence devoted exclusively to what we
like to call "rag-a-jazz."

Twenty years later the Roof Garden Jass Band is assembling for a
one-time-only spectacular
event to honor the 90th anniversary of the first jazz recordings.

We'll be playing a ninety-minute set - one minute for each year in the
history of jazz.

I've got some stellar musicians on board, so don't miss this rare
opportunity to hear jazz - or jass, as it was known in 1917 - the way it
sounded 90 years ago

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 26
8:00 p.m.
Dan Levinson's Roof Garden Jass Band
Salutes the 90th Anniversary of Recorded Jazz
featuring
Jon-Erik Kellso trumpet, Randy Reinhart, trombone,
Jeff Barnhart, piano, and Kevin Dorn, drums

The Bickford Theatre at the Morris Museum
Morristown, NJ

Tickets (973) 971-3706
www.morrismuseum.org/static/bickford/jazz.html
Info: Bruce Gast (908) 755-2483
tekhouse at aol.com

www.danlevinson.com/rgjb.htm

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
916/806-9551
www.ringwald.com
--
Leader, The Fulton Street Jazz Band
www.fultonstreetjazz.com

 In the 60's, people took LSD to make the world weird. Now the world is
weird
and people take Prozac to make it normal.