[Dixielandjazz] Chord Variants.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 13 11:55:18 PST 2007

"Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> wrote (polite snip)

> Speaking of musicians not listening on turn around, notice on some of the
> hot 5 or hot 7 recordings, half of the band would play a dim & the other
> half would play a minor.

Chord progressions have changed over the years via the use of substitutions.
Take the the normal 3 chord blues variety (I IV V). Many people cannot hear
some of the more subtle changes of a horn player over the normal rhythm
section changes while others do. And vice versa. Most people probably don't
hear what Bob speaks about above.

However, horn players have be deviating from the beginning of jazz. :-) VBG

Lots of different turnarounds. Here are some examples of bars 10 through 12
from what are now fairly normal blues progressions. In the key of F.

C7 / F7 / F7

Bb7 / F7 / C7

C7 / F7 / C7

C7 / F7 / Gm7 - C7

C7 / F7 / Db7 - C7

C7 / Am7-D7 / Gm7 - C7

C7 - Bb7 / Am7 - D7 / Gm7 - C7

Dbm7 - Gb7/ F7 - D7 / Gm7 - C7

C7 / Am7 - Abm7 / Gm7 - Gb

Gb7  / F7 - Abm7 / Gm7 - Gb

Gm7 - C7 / Am7 - D7 / Dbm7 - Gb

C7 /Am7 - D7 / Gm7 - C7

C7 - Bb7 / Am - D7 / Gm7 - C7

Gm7 - C7 / Am7 - D7 / Gm7 - C7

Gb7 / F7 - Ab7 / G7 - Gb

All of the above blues in F started out with the normal F7 blues chord,
except for the next to last one which started with an F#m7 - B7 in the first
measure.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone