[Dixielandjazz] Political Correctness - - - Priceless

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 13 09:20:48 PST 2007

Great name for a band . . . The Hoohaa Sextet? :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

What¹s in a Name? Controversy

NY TIMES - By LAWRENCE VAN GELDER - February 12, 2007

Under ordinary circumstances, the opening of "The Hoohaa Monologues" on
Thursday at the Atlantic Theaters in Atlantic Beach, Fla., near
Jacksonville, would not attract much attention. But "The Hoohaa Monologues"
by any other name is Eve Ensler's Obie Award-winning, internationally
performed play, "The Vagina Monologues."

Last week, after a complaint from a passing driver who became upset because
her niece had seen "vagina" on the theater marquee, Bryce Pfanenstiel of the
Atlantic said, "We decided we would just use child slang for it," Down came
"The Vagina Monologues." Up went "The Hoohaa Monologues."

But two days later, on Thursday, in response to a demand from the organizers
of the production, the original title was restored. The organizers are a
group of Florida Coastal School of Law students who insisted that the
original title be displayed because they had rights to the play only if they
refused any censorship.

"Vagina is the essence of a woman," said an organizer, Elissa Saavedra, "and
if you're going to suppress the name, then you're suppressing us as women."
All proceeds are to go to charity.