[Dixielandjazz] Playing for free vs undermining the pros

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Feb 11 18:26:02 PST 2007

Thanks Nancy, you said it a whole lot nicer than I did.  Personally I have
no problem with people playing for free if and only if the venue doesn't pay
ever.  There are many places like that around.  One place had only $100 a
quarter for entertainment.  It's a 100% Medicaid, church sponsored nursing
home.  The smell of urine will knock you over when you walk in.  These
people need anything they can get.  I have a list of non charge or almost
free groups that will perform in such places that I will make available to
them.  The second thing is you can go or recommend local organizations that
might sponsor entertainment in such places.  The Masons, K of C, Rotary,
Kiwanis, Eagles and JC's might just do it if approached.  Some of them
sponsor their own homes.
Larry
St. Louis