[Dixielandjazz] Playing for free vs undermining the pros

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Feb 11 18:00:22 PST 2007

RO--(I refer to my irregular gigs, not to my my physical appearances, which
are irregular enough). My coming in is a little langiappe for the residents
and, IMHO, hurts nobody.

LW---That might not be entirely true.  How do you know that they didn't
count you in their paperwork back to corporate as an hour of entertainment.
Entertainment directors are under the gun to provide so many hours of
entertainment each week.  The more free the better.  As I understand it
entertainment is now a requirement (could be wrong).  You may just have
added another $60-$100 profit to the corporate guys that they didn't have to
pay for.  Sounds cynical but business is business.

RO--I would never dream of offering my services free of charge to a venue
which normally pays for the very same service.

LW-- I work nursing and Senior homes all the time and would do a whole lot
better if there weren't so many people standing in line to entertain for
free or for practically nothing.  Several people I work with also do Senior
homes.  My piano man does several every week and it's a good add on for
musicians during the day.

Most of the nursing and Senior homes are not non profit deals.  There are
some however.  Before I play for a home at a lesser rate I ask them the
percentage of people who are on Medicaid.  These people are basically not
big money makers for the homes and some of them are almost 100% Medicaid.
The second type of home is the subsidized housing apartments.  We have
several here where the residents pay 25% of their income.  That allows a
person who has a very low income to have a fairly nice home.  They have very
little money for entertainment and the sponsoring bodies are usually
churches.  Personally I will cut them a break.  People who are entertaining
for free or very little should be seeking out those type of homes.

Look in the yellow pages and see if they are advertising regular
entertainment - quite a few here do.  My thinking is if they are advertising
it and it is helping their corporation shouldn't they pay for it.  People
who own and run these places are way above my pay grade and I don't feel
sorry for them.

Several I play at are charging $6000 a month up.  I'm sorry but I just can't
see giving them a break.
Larry
St. Louis