[Dixielandjazz] Playing for free vs undermining the pros

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sat Feb 10 18:48:27 PST 2007

Now that was a  class act Mr. Osnato:))

Makes you hate the Hoy Palloy set
Bravo!!

Tom Wiggins

  Case in point: I found myself a guest at a hoy-palloy party one time
and as the
dinner plates were being cleared the hostess announced, "And now Mr.
Osnato will
favor us with a selection at the piano." I blushed and said thank you
but I came
as a guest and I was really not prepared to play. "Oh Mr. Osnato,"
insisted the
hostess," you must play -- I've already announced you."

  So I played. And played. And played. For forty-five minutes I played
to the
best of my modest ability. The hostess was most appreciative after the
impromptu
concert and told me I made her and her party a huge success.

 The next day I sent her a bill for $450.

 She paid. But for some reason I have never been invited back.

 Ray Osnato