[Dixielandjazz] Playing for free vs undermining the pros

rorel at aol.com rorel at aol.com
Sat Feb 10 17:16:16 PST 2007

 Hello Nancy -- a pleasure to meet you, if only online.

 I agree with you wholeheartedly, up to a point. I would never dream of offering my services free of charge to a venue which normally pays for the very same service. It would be very wrong of me to appraoch, let's say a restaurant or country club that hires a band and offer to play regularly for nothing. THat would personify the phrase "unethical in the extreme." As a working musician myself, that is not in my repertoire.

 However, a nursing home has, as you rightly pointed out, a budget. Whether it be for the month or the year they have a budget with, I am guessing, a certain amoutn for arts & crafts, a certain amount for field trips and a certain amount for music. If I call a facility on a Saturday morning and ask if they'd like me to come in later that afternoon and play for an hour, I am not taking a gig away from anybody. The regular musicians are booked well in advance and their income is not jeopordized by my spotty appearances. (I refer to my irregular gigs, not to my my physical appearances, which are irregular enough). My coming in is a little langiappe for the residents and, IMHO, hurts nobody. Parenthetically, quite often I am told, "I am sorry, we have a group coming in today." And I hang up the phone knowing that the old folks will be entertained. For me, that's even better than playing myself for I know they are being entertained regularly. Rest assured, i am not taking anything from anyone. If I thought I was, I certainly would stop right away.

 Regarding fundraisers: I am in the midst of preparing one right now -- the second such event for a little boy with neurofibromatosis (Elephant Man Disease). It is not in my nature to ask people who use their music money as income to play for nothing. As Steve Barbone says he does, I pay them out of my own pocket. I add that I am up-front with the musicians, telling them the cause and where their funds are coming from. Many waive or reduce their fee, but that is their choice. I dislike being asked to play for nothing myself, why should I ask a crony to do so?

 Case in point: I found myself a guest at a hoy-palloy party one time and as the dinner plates were being cleared the hostess announced, "And now Mr. Osnato will favor us with a selection at the piano." I blushed and said thank you but I came as a guest and I was really not prepared to play. "Oh Mr. Osnato," insisted the hostess," you must play -- I've already announced you."

 So I played. And played. And played. For forty-five minutes I played to the best of my modest ability. The hostess was most appreciative after the impromptu concert and told me I made her and her party a huge success.

 The next day I sent her a bill for $450.

 She paid. But for some reason I have never been invited back.

 Ray Osnato