[Dixielandjazz] playing for free

acjspres at aol.com acjspres at aol.com
Sat Feb 10 13:19:35 PST 2007

Twice I have offered to play at a club each Monday night for two weeks for
free to show the owner that Monday might become his best night rather than his
slowest. I paid the guys in my band out of my own pocket.

In the first case we ended up playing every Monday for over a year and it
bacame the best night of the week for the club. In the second case they moved us
 to Wed night (due to monday night football) and we were there for over two
years  (until the owner passed away).

If you have a following and you are pretty sure they will show up (location
is key) then give it a shot...it can't hurt.

Make sure the guy hiring you understands that it will take a couple of
months for you to get the word out in order to maximize attendance.

It is typical marketing....just like money back if not  satisfied.

Joe  Hopkins
AZ Classic Jazz Society Vice-President
Jazz Clarinet...52nd Street  Jazz Band 602-810-5888 or 480-396-6798
_www.azclassicjazz.org_ (http://www.azaclassicjazz.org/)