[Dixielandjazz] Doodle Tonguing on the trombone

David Dustin postmaster at fountainsquareramblers.org
Thu Feb 8 05:53:59 PST 2007

RE your note, Craig, wondering if ³doodle² might have been a spelling error.
(No.)  The pro player I studied with taught several different tonguing
styles on the bone, possibly because of the larger mpc than on high brass
and the relativism of slide position which permits intonation:  Standard
tonguing, of course, ³loo² tonguing for more legato passages (kind of a
contact-less wave of the tongue across the mouth cavity), and the infamous
³doodle² which is the ne plus ultra for the virtuosi.  (After years of
woodshedding, I still cannot come close to a clear doodle, despite
McChesney¹s CD and book.)  I should refer again to McChesney, but there are
a couple of variants to the ³doodle² according to him, depending on what
syllables you are supposed to model.  ³Ta-ga² is one variant, per McChesney,
but he advocates  something like ³doo-dul-doo-dul-doo-dul-doo...²  Some
other lister will have to correct me on his literal recipe as his book is
probably propping up a corner of this desk.

I¹m just glad when I pick up my horn that notes come out, however I try to
tongue.

David Dustin