[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 50, Issue 25

Criss719 at wmconnect.com Criss719 at wmconnect.com
Thu Feb 8 05:11:00 PST 2007

In a message dated 2/7/2007 9:57:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

>  I come back to Jack Teagarden, who may or may not have
> doodle-tongued (I don't honestly know, but he sure had perfect lip
> control).  I KNOW I'd give my left leg to sound even halfway like him
> and not the best doodler emerging from Julliard, Berklee or North Texas

I often say something "similar" to that when listening to a great trombone
player or piano player and people just don't understand why I would give my left
anything to be able to play like that.

Speaking of North Texas: Listen to Dr. Deb Scott's short sound clip of her
playing Misty. She is not only a Trombone Professor at he U of N. TX, she a
really nice lady. When I first heard this, it beautiful sound brought a tear to my
eye. I then I got out my trombone and realized that I too, could play Misty
but sounded so bad, I put my horn up and played it on the piano.
http://144.96.222.56/ramgen/lias/Misty.rm

I'm sure you've heard Bones Apart rendition of Starts and Stripes Forever. I
would love to be able to doodle-tongue like the girl playing the piccolo part
on the trombone.

Here is another site that refreshes my memory on the basics plus a few more
tips:

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:omBYWUsRWkoJ:www.depauw.edu/music/resourc
es/tipsfromtheexperts/PDF/TromboneTips-Beckel.pdf+how+to+get+the+sound+on+the+
trombone&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7

Criss