[Dixielandjazz] Band swapped instruments (was Spelling - jazz related)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Feb 7 21:36:35 PST 2007

For some unknown reason this query just arrived - 7 days and 3 hours late!

> I heard a record of an orchestra when I was a teenager -- they all swapped
instruments and though the timing was good, the result was hilarious. I cannot
for the life of me remember the name of the orchestra......<

Dear Tobey,
The record you recall was probably by Ten Cats and a Mouse, a 40s Capitol
recording where all the well-known musicians swapped instruments.
Herewith the session details:

Dave Barbour, t; Bill May, Bobby Sherwood, tb; Paul Weston, cl; Eddie
Miller, as; Benny Carter, ts; Dave Cavanaugh, bar; Red Norvo, p; Hal Derwin,
g; Frank DeVol, sb; Peggy Lee, d.
Los Angeles, October 13, 1947
2343-5    Ja-Da                         Cap 15015,
2344-4    Three O'clock Jump            -

It has been reissued on LP and CD a few times but is not, so far as I can
find, currently available.
I agree, good timing (as we would expect) and great fun. Also well
organised.
Nearly everyone gets a solo, except poor Peggy.
Kind regards,
Bill.