[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz In Japan

glen page gpage at dccnet.com
Mon Feb 5 16:05:32 PST 2007

Hear Me Talkin' To Ya!

I was very pleased to read about OKOM in Japan. Some may remember that Fr.
Mike posted something about the New Orleans Rascals of Osaka  a few weeks
ago, he was searching for a source of cds.

About six years ago I received an e-mail from a Japanese fan in Osaka, he
knew that we had interests in common through a couple of postings that I had
made to DJML. Since that time our friendship has blossomed and we see he and
his wife 2 or 3 times a year. They have a son in Vancouver and also go to
USA for festivals at least 3 times a year.

They are both rabid fans of the music, particularly Lewis. I have been
slowly trying to widen their musical horizons through giving them tapes and
cds of some earlier material. They in turn have given me a veritable library
of cds of Japanese bands, mainly the N.O. Rascals of Osaka.I must have close
to 30 cds and several dvds and a number of vhs recordings of  the Rascals
alone.

The Rascals were formed in 1961 and have only had one change in personnel
since that time. Sadly one of the current members is indisposed at this time
but he is hoping to be able to return in the not too distant future.Their
recorded output is detailed in a 62 page discography that was published at
the time of their 40th anniversary. Gerard Bielderman, a DJML subscriber,
has published a discographyof 52 pages.Many of the items listed are not
generally available but may be obtained through contacts in Osaka. I believe
that the Rascals were the unofficial hosts for George's 3 tours in the early
60s, they certainly made a number of private recordings with the band.The
band has also appeared at Ascona and a video tape of their participation
there is very good. Of interest to Lewis fans would be a dvd of them playing
a tribute to George on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of his birth.
Although there is a fair amount of talking, in Japanese of course,it is
possible to grasp the fanatical interest that the audience have in the
music. The distaff member of my friends is currently translating "Call Him
George" by Ann Fairbairn into Japanese, with some help in trying to
understand some strange English language.

The Rascals have made a number of tours to the USA and their discography
shows a number of well known players have recorded with them. Geoff Bull is
an Australian who frequently plays with them.A book published to commemorate
their 30th anniversary is full of great pictures, many of which detail some
of their USA tours and show many US musicians.

I hold the Rascals in high esteem and would go to hear them if I had a
chance, I can follow their progress over the years on recordings. I have not
checked today but when I was looking at thei web site a few weeks ago there
was a 15 min video from a tv program that was worth watching. Of the bands
that I have recordings of the Mahogany Hall Stompers are my second
favourite, also from Osaka. I have cds of various festivals in Japan and
like similar events here there is more enthusiasm than skill in some bands
performances but it would be hard to go wrong with either the Rascals or the
Mahogany Hall Stompers.

My friends will be here in a couple of weeks and I will find out the latest
info re Japan.

Cheers, Glen.