[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz In Japan

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 5 14:02:42 PST 2007

"Ken Gates" <kwg28 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> http://www.odjc.com/en/index_en.html
>
> New Orleans Rascals and the older jazz sounds seem to be alive and will in
> Japan. Take a look at this website. (above)

I can remember talking to George Lewis about his Japanese Tours back in the
1960s when he toured Japan on a regular basis. He stated that his music was
very popular there. More so there, than anywhere in the world and at that
time, there was a resurgence of New Orleans Jazz in NYC!!!!

I visited Japan again in the 1980s and there were still quite a few Japanese
Bands playing in Early Uptown New Orleans style.

Those interested might check out this article circa 1994 from Kansai Time
Out Magazine entitled "Traditional Jazz In The Kansai".

http://www.japanfile.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=425

The Kansai Region of Japan is toward the south of the nation and includes
the cities of Osaka, Kobe and Kyoto. "Kansai Time Out" is in English and a
leading American Expatriate Magazine.

There are some errors in the article like "Louis Armstrong's Hot Peppers"
but the overall tenor of it reflects what I remember about Lewis' remarks
and my later visit.

Are there any Japanese Listmates that would like to comment on the trad
scene in Japan?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone