[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz In Japan

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 5 17:03:19 PST 2007

Hi Glen & List mates:

Here's some info I dug up on google about the Kokusai Jazz Festival in Osaka
and the home of the New Orleans Rascals. The article (#1) dated from 2004.
The Rascal's (#2) dated currently.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

#1 Jazz is popular here. Now in its thirty-seventh year, the Kokusai Jazz
Festival, held at the end of July, is a Dixieland festival that features
some of the best players from both Kanto and Kansai regions. But during the
rest of the year, jazz fans patronize New Suntory 5, which hosts some of the
most outstanding traditional jazz ensembles in Japan. Japan's second region
it may be, but the Kansai area still has a great deal to offer, and most of
us who live here wouldn't think of trading it for Tokyo

#2 New Suntory 5  Umeda area OSAKA
The Mecca of traditional and Dixieland Jazz in Kansai and home of the famous
New Orleans Rascals (every Sat. night). The Flat Five, a fine swing group
play every Wed. night and there are regular appearances by stride pianist
Fujimori Shoji. Visiting trad musicians from abroad often come here to sit
in. This is a roomy club with a long bar and windows overlooking Umeda.

The New Suntory 5 is on the fifth floor of the Sonezaki Bldg. which is on
the east side of Sonezaki-dori (the arcade east of Midosuji). If you are on
the Midosuji near subway Higashi-Umeda Stn., it is directly east of of the
Umeda Central Bldg. Music start: 19:50; closed Sun.; cover: ¥1,800+¥500
order. Tel: 06-6312-8912. Fax 06-6314-0267.