[Dixielandjazz] Slick stiuff!

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Mon Feb 5 13:16:38 PST 2007

Well, not to let the trombonists have the bragging rioght about braa
instrument lubrication, I add this equal time otive for cornet/trumpet
players (and other valved horn players).
I have before me in my scrapo book a picutre of four cornetists,
standing in fron of thelegendary band stand at Hudson ALekl, Mi where
Bix and other Glodkette players played a weekend. (Written about in
Mezrow's earlier book).
Ledt to right were: Don Ingle, Bob Barnard, Tom Pletcher, and Charlie
DeVore. We were paying homage to a hallowed Bix site sooon lated for razing.
In that converstation, a question was posed about value oil -- what kind
made the best, non-stockey lubricant. Bob Barnard surprised all by
telling his choice.
"Detergent."
"Detergent," tree of us echoed.
"Right -- jus tliek yous use to wahs dishes. It makes the valved move
fast, keeps the slides and tubing clean, "Bob said," with a little
twinkle in his eye when he added,"and they keeop you hands quite soft!"

My own addition is frm my road days in the 50's when drving long miles
between omne-nighter gigs in Texas, OKlahoma and points strange and
rarely with a music shop, a fellow trumpet section player cake up wit
the solutioons for when we ran out of valve oil.
"Flit!" You know, "quck Henry, the Flit," the stuff you used to spray
mosquitoes." Well, it worked beong mostly petroleum distillate, or
diesel fuel. But it stunk up the brass section a bit -- but at least
were stayed 'skeeter bite free, even in Rain, Louisiana.

Don Ingle (ah, the good old days -- great chops, steady work, and no
money. Well, two  out of three ain't bad!)

)