[Dixielandjazz] Call it Music

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 5 08:13:41 PST 2007

"Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com>

>> Steve Wrote:
>> Russ Guarino asked what we call it when people ask; What kind of music do
>> you play.
>>
>> I answer "Jazz, America's Music". Then, if further questions arise, go
>> from
>> there to "Dixieland, New Orleans Jazz and Swing", because that is what we
>> play more narrowly defined.
> (snip)
>
> Bob Wrote
> Russ, the Eddie Condon book is a very interesting read and the info quoted
> below by Steve Barbone is all well & good.  But, when talking to a client,
> you have to use words that the client understands.
>
> Today's average music buyer knows nothing of Paul Whiteman and Irving
> Berlin.  That is why, when I find they want a Dixieland type band, I always
> slip Louis Armstrong's name in there somewhere.

Yes indeed, you must use words the client understands. I would go a step
further and say today's average music buyer knows virtually nothing about
"jazz". Just as we "knowledgeable jazz fans" misunderstand the phase "Jazz
was America's Popular Music in the 1920s & 30s". We quote figures like 70%
of the music was jazz back then, without realizing that if that were the
case, then jazz was very broadly defined. Like it is today with those who
would include smooth jazz as jazz. Similarly, then jazz is more popular
today than we moldy figs give it credit for.

That's why I wrote about Condon's book. First to correct a prior post that
misidentified the title of Condon's book as "We Call it Jazz", (Instead of
We "Called It Music") and then to expand upon the point. I did not even
remotely suggest that Russ talk about Whiteman and Berlin to a client.

IMO, the Real answer to the  question what kind of music do you play is very
simple. "GOOD MUSIC".  Then you go from there to figure out what genre the
client wants and either tell that client you play it, or you do not play it.

But if somebody (not a prospective client) just asks me what kind of music I
play, I say "Jazz". And see where that leads.

These days, I find that the teens and twenty something's no longer relate to
Louis Armstrong, but do relate to "Jazz" whether correctly or incorrectly in
our opinions. (They don't know much about it, but do relate to the word)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone