[Dixielandjazz] A followup reply

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon at juno.com
Mon Feb 5 08:32:52 PST 2007

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 07:46:19 -0800 billsharp <sharp-b at clearwire.net>
writes (on behalf of someone else):

<snip>
>I’m a newbie to
> > this list, but I have found it largely disappointing for its (by
> and
> > large) pedantic focus on who was playing 2nd cornet during the air
> > check in 1933 when it’s known that so-and-so took a bathroom
> break.

<snip>
> >At least it misses any point that I am
> > interested in -- as a “young” (mid-50s) player/bandleader -- which
> is
> > the state of OKOM delivery and appreciation today. And that can be
> > fairly broad subject encompassing players/bands/performance, new
> and
> > old adaptations of the music, and the biz.

<snip>
> Which is
> why I
> > will not become a regular contributor to this list.

Listmates:

As a rare (and rarely serious) contributor, but a very long-time member,
of this list, here's what I think:

1. There is indeed an awful lot pf pedantry, not only of the sort listed
above, but also of the "best lubricant for a trombone slide" variety. I
find it fascinating that there are people who know about such things, and
it's obviously of interest to many on the list, so it should certainly
stay. But I do exercise my delete key a lot.

2. I think there is also considerable discussion about "...the state of
OKOM delivery and appreciation today." Barbone & Wiggins are frequent
contributors in this area, but there are many others as well. Maybe
that's all that Mr Anonymous is interested, but that's not all this list
is about. There's a lot of good stuff on this topic, and Mr. A will have
to learn to use his delete key to separate HKOT from OKOT, but apparently
he's already mastered that. (HKOT = His Kind of Topic; OKOT = Others'
Kinds of Topics)

3. Finally, Mr. A's dissatisfaction with the list is exactly the reason
why he SHOULD become a regular contributor. If you want to see something
discussed, then by golly, start the discussion! If you've got something
to say, then say it, for the benefit of all of us. If there's something
you want to learn, then ask a question. Believe me, there are others on
the list who want the same answers, whatever the question.

Jerry Gordon, Troy, NY - Webmaster for
http://APlaceForJazz.org