[Dixielandjazz] Bix's Solo

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Feb 4 13:47:56 PST 2007

I miswrote & typo'd (2 big errors 2):  I'm fond of...Schuller on Louis'
s "Hit Like That"
Oops. I meant "Hotter Than That" by Louis with the Hot Five (plus
1--Lonnie Johnson on guitar), 12/13/27 on Okeh, analyzed keenly in
Schuller's "Early Jazz." Thanks to Bill Haesler for catching this.

Charlie Suhor

Well said, Ray. The only question is, how much analysis is too much?
And each of us has a different answer to that one. The Bix anlysis took
me farther than I want to go, in part I'm sure because it went farther
than I understand. I'm fond of Gunther Schuller's and Paul Berliner's
blend of poetic appreciation and analysis, even when the latter is a
bit beyond my reach. (Schuller on Louis' s "Hit Like That" and Morton's
"New Orleans Joys" are great examples.) Speaking of poetic
apprectiation, your last phrase ("can bring us one baby-step closer to
that miraculous moment when the the neuron first jumped the synapse in
the artist's creative moment") is especially beautiful.

Charlie Suhor