[Dixielandjazz] Bix's Solo

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Feb 4 11:49:48 PST 2007

Well said, Ray. The only question is, how much analysis is too much?
And each of us has a different answer to that one. The Bix anlysis took
me farther than I want to go, in part I'm sure because it went farther
than I understand. I'm fond of Gunther Schuller's and Paul Berliner's
blend of poetic appreciation and analysis, even when the latter is a
bit beyond my reach. (Schuller on Louis' s "Hit Like That" and Morton's
"New Orleans Joys" are great examples.) Speaking of poetic
apprectiation, your last phrase ("can bring us one baby-step closer to
that miraculous moment when the the neuron first jumped the synapse in
the artist's creative moment") is especially beautiful.

Charlie Suhor