[Dixielandjazz] youtube and Copywrites

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sat Feb 3 17:44:07 PST 2007

My son is a 40-year old computer systems annalist.  He is on top of the
happenings on the internet.

I consistently have this argument with him regarding copywrites.  He feels,
as most of the Internet folks do, there should be no copywrites, everything
should be free.

I say, I just spent $xxx producing a CD.  Is it fair to not want people to
freely copy it rather than purchase it from me?

He then goes into a big explanation of how putting it on the internet for
free will get me more fans in the long run.

I can see giving samples of the CD away as advertising.  But, Spending
$5000, just to create something to give away, does not make sense.

Besides, if I were touring the world doing concerts, the free music might
cause people to come pay big bucks for concert tickets.  However, I am not
touring the world and don't expect to be...

How about a company who spends one hundred million dollars filming and
promoting a movie, just to have someone pirate it & put it out for free?  Or
make counterfeit copies and sell them?

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
916/806-9551
www.ringwald.com
--
Leader, The Fulton Street Jazz Band
www.fultonstreetjazz.com

 In the 60's, people took LSD to make the world weird. Now the world is
weird
and people take Prozac to make it normal.