[Dixielandjazz] Pee Wee Russell

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 2 13:31:17 PST 2007

Dear Brian,
I have that "Old Folks" on the very rare original LP, Kapp K-1028.
Took me ages to find, but......lucky me!
So far as I know. the session has not been released on CD but, hopefully,
under the 50-year copyright rule (outside the US) it is now eligible.
French Classics have already issued a George Wettling CD (1940-1944) in its
'Chronogical' [sic] series and there is still enough material for another
two CDs (1951-58). Let's hope that they follow through.
You will note from the full session details below that "Old Folks" is in the
Time-Life 'Giants of Jazz' boxed LP set STLJ-17, 'Pee Wee Russell', which I
also have.
Kind regards,
Bill.

George Wettling Jazz Trios:
Wild Bill Davison, c; [on sleeve as Wild Bill Funaro (cornet) ] Gene
Schroeder, p; George Wettling, d.
New York, 11 February 1956
    Rose Room
    Save It Pretty Mama
    The Lady's In Love With Me
    Bye and bye

Pee Wee Russell (cl) replaces Wild Bill Davison.
New York, 11 February 1956
    Louise
    Old Folks (*)
    I Would Do Anything For You
    I'm In The Market For You
Note:  (*) This title also in Time-Life 'Giants of Jazz' boxed set STLJ-17.

Lou McGarity, tb; replaces Pee Wee Russell.
New York, 11 February 1956
    Soon
    Pennies From Heaven
    Please Be Kind