[Dixielandjazz] Tributes and Re-Creations

tduncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Sun Dec 30 09:47:38 PST 2007

There are some tunes that deserve the "close tribute" or even recreation
treatment . . . West End Blues . . . The clarinet solo on High Society (and
who knows what that might be note for note, but many play a similar
structure in tribute to the original) . . . The Mooche . . .

We do a very few of these and it is rewarding when you feel that the
"uninitiated" listener enjoyed the tune and the knowledgeable fan smiles in
recognition of what you may be quoting. We talk a lot about entertainment of
our audience. Remember that it should be two way . . . You appreciate and
enjoy what I play and I enjoy and appreciate your reception.

One doesn't need to be a cover band, but a few tributes to the greats are
not out of line in my opinion. ( I don't mean to knock any of the three
bands that Steve mentions. All play everything superbly . . . I have heard
the Nighthawks a lot and much of their solo work is individualized and
varying.)

Regards,

Tom Duncan
Doctor Dubious and the Agnostics
PO Box 2118      Teaneck, NJ 07666
P   (201)836-6076     FAX   (201)833-4143
www.doctordubious.com